THE GRIDLOCKSMITH

THE GRIDLOCKSMITH, traffic safety activist, "Roads Scholar," former "Road Warrior" who lost a brother (aged,15) on the road in 1969, has compiled many observations and ideas about traffic safety after 3 decades of driving for a living. "Are you part of the problem, or part of the solution? Set a safe example in traffic." You, too, can be a gridlocksmith. "Road-Peace is a step toward World Peace." - Earl Shoop

My Photo
Name:
Location: Silver Spring, MARYLAND, United States

Looking for what's logical, efficient, kind and fun... Traffic safety became a personal issue when my youngest brother died on the highway. I observed traffic unsafety while driving for a living(30yrs). Spread the word about "Road-Peace" as a step on the road to World Peace. Since those wise and gentle enough to create World Peace will not treat each other as we now do, in traffic, the road is a good place to focus our efforts. see www.road-peace.com www.gridlocksmith.com

Monday, February 20, 2006

"CUT OFF?"

A local paper in Silver Spring, Md., The Gazette, which mysteriously appears weekly in the front yard, has a traffic column called, "Bumper to Bumper." Recently, they offered readers a chance to sound off (in 50 words or less) in a new feature, "Driving Me CRAZY." I could not resist the opportunity to use "Our new outlet for road rage." Below is my first foray into venting upon this new venue...


Am I the only one who knows what it is to be "cut
off?"

Drivers have yelled at me that I was trying to cut
them off when they were the ones that cut me off!

If someone changes lanes in front of you, how are you
"cut off?" Where is it that you are prevented from
going?

If I change lanes because my exit is near, the last
thing I need is some doofus speeding up to get in my
way!


I fear that my 50 words are used up, but it would be
nice to add:

Passing on the right is illegal for a reason. It is
dangerous to speed up into someone's "blind spot."

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a blind spot on the left hand side of the car as well. Also, if cars are passing you on the right then there is a good chance you are simply going too slow.

9:45 AM, February 22, 2006  
Blogger The Gridlocksmith said...

Actually, I often find that someone that I have just passed will speed up when I signal my intention to move to the right. They seem to feel victimized if someone changes lanes in front of them.

1:23 AM, February 23, 2006  
Blogger The Gridlocksmith said...

Oops. One other thing. How did you get a blind spot on the left? Assuming that you have an exterior driver-side mirror that can be easily adjusted while driving, you should be able to clearly see traffic in the next lane to the rear. Once someone comes alongside, they may be no longer visible in the mirror, but, by turning one's head to the left, one can see that area. That is the part that may be difficult on the other side, especially if you have cargo or passengers steaming up the windows.

1:36 AM, February 23, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

gridlocksmith seems to be a blithereing idiot, the letter makes no sense at all.

Try a good driving school, you CAN figure it out!

12:46 PM, March 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home